District Wins Award for Energy-Saving Methods

Paulina Zuleta, Staff Writer

Because of a continuous effort in energy reduction, the district has been selected for the Energy Star Partner of the Year Award by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency.

“It’s a great accomplishment to show that if we come together on something so simple as turning off lights and being mindful of it (saving energy) then we could accomplish anything,” Assistant Principal Wendell Joubert said.

The district was recognized in Washington, D.C. this past summer.

“They went to D.C and received a big national award for being one of the top energy conserving organizations,” Joubert said.

The district saved $2,775,814 with the help of two full-time energy-saving staffs.

“They made a lot of reductions in usage based on new procedures, such as having shut downs during the holidays, reminding people to turn off lights and unplugging objects that are not in use,” Joubert said.

Out of all the high schools, Timberview has saved the most energy.

“Timberview really has sort of led the way in that whole endeavor,” Biology teacher Timothy Maschal said. “In the last three years, we’ve been the energy champions.”

As a result of being the most energy efficient school, the staff was awarded crushed ice machines for the teachers’ lounge.

“Very rarely do I walk by the lounge and the light is on,” Maschal said. “(The) same (goes for) the classrooms. It just spreads across campus; everybody just does their part and it’s part of our culture.”