PTSA Sponsors Annual Reflections Art Program

Harrison Le, Staff Writer

In order to promote originality within the school, Librarian Jennifer Rike said the Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) is sponsoring the Reflections Art Program.

“We host Reflections to support the notion that arts and education is important,” she said. “It allows students to share their creativity.”

The competition is open to all grade levels.

“Some people are creative but have no way of showing it,” Rike said. “By having a contest, they have a venue to say, ‘Here’s what I can do (and) I’m passionate about this.’”

Categories include dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.

“I love the program because it gives my students a format to show how art makes them feel,” Art Teacher Evanne Nasypany said.

Applicants must be a member of the PTSA and submissions should relate to the chosen theme “Within Reach.”

“Part of the challenge is how you define it,” Rike said. “Within reach can be a goal, an aspiration, a destination, literal, something physical or a metaphor.”

Last year, sophomore Genesis Guillen was selected to move on for her entry.

“My photograph depicted two hands with tie dye over them (and) my closest friends at the time,” she said. “At first it was just a competition, but it really became about the meaning behind the photo.”

The deadline to sign up is Oct. 20 and forms can be picked up in the library.

“(This) gives me the opportunity to grow as an artist and advance into district and national competition,” senior Kenia Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said she can’t wait for the competition.

“I’m focused on winning and looking at other people’s artwork,” she said. “Later this year, I’m looking forward to the (future) with ATPI (Association of Texas photography instructors) and VASE (Visual Arts Scholastic Event) in the fall.”