Students Decorate “Chemistree” with Element Ornaments

Daja Dansby, Staff Writer

In order to allow her students to exhibit their creativity, Chemistry teacher Amberly Buchanan introduced a project in which students would create an ornament over an element of their choice and hang it on the classroom’s “Chemistree.”

“I like to integrate art into the curriculum,” Buchanan said. “A lot of people love to be creative so (this project) was a good fit.”

Sophomore Travis Taylor did his project over the element, Vanadium.

“It took longer than I thought but it ended up looking pretty good,” he said. “I get to see it hanging next to everyone else’s.”

Buchanan got the idea for the seasonal project as a student-teacher.

“The teacher I taught under was very artistic and crafty,” she said. “She did (a chemistree) in her class and I really liked the idea.”

For her ornament, sophomore Madison Nguyen made a battery out of an empty acrylic bottle, air dry clay and paint.

“At the beginning I wasn’t having any creative ideas,” she said. “(The project) stimulated some creativity that was hidden inside.”

Buchanan is planning on doing similar activities throughout the remainder of the year.

“The kids really have fun,” she said. “They realize that chemistry and science are all around them.”

Nguyen said she’s looking forward to similar creative projects in the future.

“It opens new opportunities to learn outside the classroom,” she said. “I’m looking forward to a lot more. I would enjoy if we did more projects in groups so we could have more people to incorporate their ideas.”