Varsity Softball Girls Play for Playoff Spot

Dallas Johnson, Staff Writer

The Varsity Girls’ Softball Team was defeated by the Mansfield Lake Ridge Eagles, with a score of 13-11, on Tuesday night. With one game remaining in the season, the team will try to pull off one last victory against crosstown rival Mansfield Summit Jaguars for a chance to earn the last playoff spot.

“We will bounce back with a win,” Head Coach Rachel Hudson said. “This team is filled with fighters. We have a never die and never quit attitude. We know what’s at stake when we step on the field.”

The team is currently ranked fifth in district.

We must take it one play and one out at a time if we’re going to win,” Assistant Coach Jeannette Mitchell said. “I’m completely confident in this group of girls.”

If the Lady Wolves win Friday night and the Eagles beat the Waxahachie Indians a two-team playoff between the Wolves and Waxahachie will be played for the fourth spot in playoffs.

“We’ve worked hard and the team has come a long way,” Hudson said. “I know that if we get a chance to play for the last spot in playoffs we’ll come away with the victory. “

Earlier In the school year a former team member died in a car accident while away at college.

“They play for her,” Hudson said. “Every time they step on the field they see it as a blessing, never taking any moment on the field for granted. It has help the team grow closer and the bond has helped us in games.”

The softball program has made playoffs three straight years in a row.

“Making it to past district play four years in a row would be great for our seniors,” Mitchell said. “It also sets the standards where we want the program to be. We expect the team to be able to advance out of the district every year.”

This was Hudson’s first year here.

“I’ve had a new coach every year of my high school career,” Munoz said. “I like coach. She’s helping the team accomplish goals that were set.”

The rivalry game will be held at Mansfield Summit Friday night, at 7 p.m.

“We just have to go out and handle business plan and simple,” senior Chelsea Ludeeke said. “This is my last year as a member of this historic program. Hopefully, with a win Friday night, it won’t be my last game.”