Night of the Arts Talent Show Tonight

Katrell Thomas (12) performed during Cinderfella on Monday. He will also be performing tonight at Night of the Arts.

Vanessa Zuleta

Payten Boyd, Staff Writer

In order to raise money for HOG Week, Student Council will be hosting the first Night of the Arts tonight at 7 p.m., in the PAC.

“It’s a time where people can express how they feel through music and poetry without feeling self conscious,” junior Kelly Romano said.

Night of the Arts is a showcase of various performances by students. Romano will be singing “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys.

“The way she (Keys) speaks of what true love is makes me hope that one day, I would find love like that too,” she said.

In preparation, Romano said that she has been practicing the song in different keys to see which one best suits her voice.

“All of these rehearsals have really helped me become more comfortable with letting people hear me sing and being more carefree while I do it,” she said.

Junior Chanlyn Nueva was thrilled when she heard about the event.

“I did it because I love singing, and because it’s for a great cause,” she said. “In the end we are performing for these organizations and that makes all of the hours of rehearsing worth it.”

Students will also be performing poetry pieces.

“I have never written any poems before, so I thought why not?” junior Bertram Lawrence said. “It has become something I love now and something I can channel my feelings and emotions into.”

Lawrence said that the event will help people notice others skills.

“It’s a beautiful thing how talented all the performers are and how hard I’ve seen them work to make this night the best that it can be,” he said.

Tickets will be $10 at the door.

“Participating in this event is important because it helps other families in need,” Romano said. “It’s a way to give back to the community and better ourselves.”